Sign up for Huntington Then & Now’s e-mail list for more fun from the past and present!
- HARBORFIELDS… its beginning in 1956 - When my family first moved to Centerport in March 1955 I was in the 7th Grade at the Little Neck School on Little Neck Road in Centerport. This building now houses the Centerport Methodist Church and Pre School. This school consisted of two classes for each grade level. The classes were split up in two … Continue reading HARBORFIELDS… its beginning in 1956
- Growing up on Northport Harbor - THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLE DAYS…… (I used to cringe when my parents used this expression) I grew up on Northport Harbor but on the beautiful shores of the Centerport side. My Mom and Dad found a little enclave of pilots in Centerport in the late 50’s. (My Dad was a pilot for Pan American … Continue reading Growing up on Northport Harbor
- Growing up on Salem Ridge Drive… Harborfields School District…. - The year was 1954………… Bill and Rita Asher decided that their Cape Cod home in Mineola was too small for their growing family. Rita had been campaigning for years to move and when she found the perfect house in the perfect location, husband Bill had to agree that it was a good idea. She found … Continue reading Growing up on Salem Ridge Drive… Harborfields School District….
- A Little about the Author…… - Let me introduce myself….. I am Suzanne (Robertson) Asher, Harborfields FIRST cheerleader and Graduate in the first class of Harborfields High School. I grew up on Mallard Cove in Centerport. Here I reminisce about the community in my latest blogs of memories. My Dad was a Pan American Pilot and moved our family to this … Continue reading A Little about the Author……
- The Asher Brothers…. Two brothers Attending Two Different PUBLIC High Schools…. Huntington & Harborfields! - The year, 1954, the Asher family moved out to Huntington with great excitement as their four children would have an acre of property and lots of land to play sports…. they built a pool and Asher’s house was soon the hub of the neighborhood kids… This gave Brian and Jerry, the two oldest Asher siblings,a … Continue reading The Asher Brothers…. Two brothers Attending Two Different PUBLIC High Schools…. Huntington & Harborfields!
- GREENLAWN, NY… SMALL TOWN USA… HOME OF THE FIREMAN’S FAIR - Voting for Miss Rheingold at the Greenlawn Fireman’s Fair…. Who remembers this??? My first recollection of the Greenlawn Fireman’s fair was when I first moved to Centerport in 1956 and had just spent a lazy summer of fun with my best friend Barbara where I grew up on Mallard Cove and we spent the summer … Continue reading GREENLAWN, NY… SMALL TOWN USA… HOME OF THE FIREMAN’S FAIR
- LINKS LOG CABIN - Menu for LINKS Fine steaks and $1 burgers and fries…Centerport, New York! Boy do Suzanne & Brian Asher have great memories and stories to share!!! There was this great restaurant in Centerport. It was called Links Log Cabin. Here during in the 50’s and probably before and after that, people from all over the island … Continue reading LINKS LOG CABIN
- The Mill Dam Bridge — Centerport — New York - Suzanne (Robertson) Asher grew up on Mallard Cove in Centerport. Her father, a Pan American Pilot, moved the family there in the mid 1950’s. She was Harborfields first Cheerleading Captain and Graduate in the first class of Harborfields School District. She reminisces about the community in her latest blogs of memories. Here is one of … Continue reading The Mill Dam Bridge — Centerport — New York